Helping Educators Implement the ELPS
As of December 2007, Texas educators who teach English learners are required to implement the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) as an integral part of the subject(s) they teach.
- Teachers: This two-day training will provide teachers all they need to know about the ELPS and help them effectively implement the ELPS to meet the needs of all English Learners.
- Administrators: This one-day workshop will provide administrators the training they need to be knowledgeable of the ELPS, identify the evidence of ELPS implementation as they observe lessons during walk throughs, and help teachers effectively implement the ELPS.
- Paraprofessionals: This one-day training will provide paraprofessionals all they need to know about the ELPS. Paraprofessionals will also walk away with many researched-based instructional techniques they can utilize in one-on-one or small group settings.
Navigating the ELPS in the Math Classroom
This training will assist math teachers with the implementation of the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS). Through the explicit modeling of highly engaging math activities and instructional techniques, teachers will learn how to incorporate the language skills of reading, writing, speaking, listening and learning strategies into their mathematics lessons. Ultimately in this one-day workshop, math educators will gain knowledge on how to teach content and language in unison to provide English Language Learners (ELLs) and Standard English Learners (SELs) the opportunity to reach high levels of academic success.
Math Instructional Coaching (MIC)
This multi-day instructional coaching model guides teachers in the implementation of skills learned in professional development trainings that focus on mathematics and Sheltered Instruction. MIC incorporates modeling of sheltered math lessons, lesson planning, observations, and debrief sessions.
A+ Sheltered Instruction
Sheltering instruction for English Language Learners (ELLs) is a necessity in order to help them gain understanding of grade-level content and at the same time they develop English language proficiency. This two-day workshop will provide teachers, administrators, specialists and instructional coaches practical, researched-based approaches and strategies that can be used in all content areas to instruct ELLs.
Effective Vocabulary Instruction
As educators, we often struggle with finding innovative and effective ways to teach vocabulary to our students. In this one-day workshop, teachers will learn the do’s and don’ts of vocabulary instruction and will discuss methods and strategies of vocabulary instruction that apply to all students and all content areas.
TEXTEAMS trainings were created by the state of Texas under the guidance of Charles A. Dana Center to help math educators develop a deeper understanding of the content they teach. TEXTEAMS promotes standards-based mathematics education and helps teachers gain conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts through the exposure to hands-on math activities. These workshops range from 2 to 5 days in duration.
- Rethinking Elementary Mathematics TEXTEAMS, Part 1
- Rethinking Elementary Mathematics TEXTEAMS, Part 2
Middle School TEXTEAMS
- Rethinking Middle School Mathematics, Proportionality TEXTEAMS
- Rethinking Elementary Mathematics, Algebraic Reasoning TEXTEAMS
- Rethinking Middle School Mathematics, Numerical Reasoning TEXTEAMS
High School TEXTEAMS
- TEXTEAMS Algebra I 2000 and Beyond
- TEXTEAMS Geometry Institute
- TEXTEAMS Algebra II and Pre-Calculu